Wednesday 21 November 2012

2nd draft

SUSPICIOUS BLOOD
BY
Charlotte Smith
(2nd draft)
DURATION (8:00 – 18:20) DAY AFTER PREVIOUS EPISODE
SCENE 132/1. OUTSIDE HOME                                                                                   (8:00)
(STEVEN AND LINDSEY ARE EXITING THE HOUSE AND WALKING TO THE CAR THEIR NEIGHBOUR STARES AS THEY WALK AND GET INTO THE CAR)
LINDSEY:
Why does she have to stare at us like that?
STEVEN:
(STARTS THE ENGINE) I don’t know Lindsey just ignore it

(THERE IS AN AKWARD SILENCE UNTIL THEY REACH THE NEXT SET OF LIGHTS)
STEVEN:
(TURNS HEAD TO LINDSEY) Are you okay Lindsey?

(LINDSEY IGNORES STEVEN AND STARES OUT THE WINDOW)

132/2
(STEVEN’S CLOSE FRIENDS AND FAMILY ARE WAITING OUTSDE THE CHURCH DEBBIE IS ROUTING AROUND IN HER BAG ANXIOUSLY)
DEBBIE:
I wonder where they are, there twenty minutes late…ring them will you
BETHANY:
They’ll be here in a minute, don’t be so inpatient mum

(LINDSEY AND STEVEN ARE SEEN DRIVING UP THE ROAD)
See they’re here now
(FAMILY AND FRIENDS APPROACH THE CAR AS THEY GET OUT, EVERYONE IS QUIET)

STEVEN:
Right well, we all know why we’re here (stares around) let’s get on with it
(STEVEN GRABS HIS JACKET OUT OF THE CAR SWINGS IT OVER HIS SHOULDER AND HEADS TOWARDS THE CHURCH, LINDSEY, FAMILY AND FRIENDS FOLLOW.)

132/3
(BACK AT AMANDAS HOUSE)
AMANDA:
(SHOUTING PACING UP AND DOWN THE ROOM) I can’t believe they didn’t invite me. How can they not invite ME I was her best friend, yeah we had a small argument but so? We were still best friends, she would of wanted me there
BERT:
(SAT ON THE SOFA WITH A BRU IN HIS HAND WATCHING TELE) There is no point in shouting to me about it, if you’re that bothered then just go, they are most likely not going to make a scene about you being there
AMANDA:
I can’t just show up… (STOPS PACING) actually yes I can, I can, he can’t stop me…right I’m going
(AMANDA GRABS HER COAT, KEYS AND BAG AND HEADS TO THE DOOR)
AMANDA:
Okay I’m going
(AMANDA GETS INTO THE CAR)
AMANDA:
(WHISPERING TO HERSELF) I can do this, I can do this
(AMANDA PUTS THE KEYS IN THE CAR AND DRIVES AWAY)
132/4
(AMANDA PULLS UP NEXT TO THE CHURCH AND EVERYONE STARTS TO EXIT,SHE GETS OUT THE CAR AND WALS OVER TO STEVEN)
STEVEN:
(WHISPERING ANGRILY) what do you think you are doing here? You shouldn’t be here you wasn’t invited and I don’t want you here so please just go home
AMANDA:
(WHISPERING ANGRILY) Listen I was her best friend I have a right to be here, you might not want be here but she would’ve, I have a right to say goodbye just like all of these people, I’m not here to cause a fuss I just want to show some respect for my best friend
STEVEN:
(STILL WHISPERING ANGRILY) Best friend? Really? You meant nothing to her when she died and you mean nothing to her now so go away
AMANDA:
(STILL WHISPERING ANGRILY) I’m staying no matter what you say (WALKS AWAY TO HER CAR)
(PEOPLE APPROCH STEVEN AND SHAKE HIS HAND WHILST AMANDA SITS AND EVILY GLARES AT THEM)
STEVEN:
Right I think we should be moving along now, c’mon Lindsey (PLACES HIS ARM AROUNDS LINDSEY AND STARTS TO WALK HER TO THE CAR)
(STEVEN AND LINDSEY BOTH GET IN THE CAR, LINDSEY STARES OUT THE WINDOW AT THE CHURCH AND TEAT FALLS DOWN HER FACE)
STEVEN:
Ey chicken, c’mon don’t cry your mum wouldn’t want you to be sad
LINDSEY:
(STARING OUT THE WINDOW) You don’t know what mum would want, you’re not her, you don’t know, let’s just go
(STEVEN SAYS NOTHING, STARTS THE CAR AND STARTS TP DRIVE AWAY ALL THE OTHER CARS FOLLOW)
132/4
(ALL THE CARS PULL UP OUTSIDE THE PUB)
STEVEN:
Right c’mon
(BOTH LINDSEY AND STEVEN GET OUT THE CAR AND ARE GREETED BY THE BAR OWNER THEY ENTER THE PUB WERE THERE ARE SOME GUEST ALREADY THEY ALL LOOK AS HE WALKS IN STEVEN SMILES AND WALKS OVER TO THE BAR)
STEVEN:
(LOOKING AT LINDSEY WHILST REACHING INTO HIS BACK POCKET TO GET OUT HIS WALLET) What do you want to drink hun?
LINDSEY:
A coke please, I’ll go sit down
(LINDSEY SITS DOWN AT A NEAR SEAT AND LOOKS AROUND TO SEE A FEW PEOPLE STARING AT HER SHE LOOKS DOWN AND PULLS OUT HER PHONE)
STEVEN:
(WALKING OVER) Here we go the first ones free because it’s our event
LINDSEY:(LOOKS UP TO STEVEN WITH A SHOCKED FACE) How can you say that..
STEVEN:
(INTURRUPTING) Oh no hun, I didn’t mean it like that…ey your mum would want us to be happy not all sad
LINDSEY:
Dad it’s mums funeral so sorry if I don’t find your stupid jokes funny
STEVEN:
I’m sorry I didn’t mean to upset you…look Emily’s over there are you not going to say hello
(LINDSEY GETS UP AND WALKS TO THE DOOR WHERE EMILY IS STOOD)
EMILY:
Hey are you okay? Here this is for you (REACHES IN BAG AND PULLS OUT A CARD< SHE GIVES IT TO LINDSEY)
LINDSEY:
Thanks, and thanks for coming I’m glad you’re here, my dad’s been trying to ‘lighten the mood’ all day and I’m not in the mood for him

JESSICA:
Oh god, have you not found anything else out yet?
LINDSEY:
Nope nothing, I think I’m wrong, I haven’t found anything other than my dad acting strange but that’s bound to happen because he’s just lost his wife right?
JESSICA:
Yeah that’s what it will be, (LOOKS OVER TO LINDSEYS DAD WHO IS SAT WITH A COUPLE OF FRIENDS) It must be hard for him, you shouldn’t be so uptight with him Lindsey especially on a day like this, I know you’ve lost your mum but he has lost his wife
LINDSEY:
(LOOKS OVER TO HER DAD) I know I shouldn’t but it’s just hard to not be today
132/5
(OUTSIDE THERE ARE A FEW PEOPLE GATHERD HAVING A CIGARETTE, A CAR PULL UP OUTSIDE AND A WOMAN GETS OUT)
(PHONE RINGS)
KATE:
Hello…yes I’ve just got here now, I shouldn’t be too long…about an hour or so…yeah, okay bye, bye
(KATE GRABS HER BAG AND WALKS INTO THE PUB)
132/6
(KATE STARES AROUND THE PUB AND SPOTS STEVEN, HE WALKS OVER SMILING)
STEVEN:
Hey, I’m glad you made it
(KATE SMILES BACK)
KATE:
I can’t stay for too long, he’ll be wondering where I am
(LINDSEY WALKS OVER)
STEVEN:
Right well..
(KATE INTURUPTS)
KATE:
Who’s this dad?
STEVEN:
Oh Lindsey I didn’t see you there, this is my err…secretary
KATE:
Your secretary? That’s funny you’ve never mentioned you secretary before
STEVEN:
That’s only because I don’t like to talk about work at home sweetheart…Kate this is my daughter, Lindsey
(KATE REACHES OUT HER HAND TO LINDSEY, LINDSEY IGNORES THE GESTURE AND WALKS OVER TO THE BAR)
LINDSEY:
(TO BARMAN) A coke please
KATE:
Well its clear a certain someone doesn’t like me…and your secretary really? Could of thought of something better than that
STEVEN:
Well I had to think on the spot she would’ve clicked on if I said you was a close friend of her  mum’s…anyway how long have you got?
KATE:
Only about an hour, I told Jerry I was popping to my mum, the last thing I want right now is him going up there and asking where I am
STEVEN:
Who cares what he does, im sure you can think of something, now come over here so we can have a proper talk
(STEVEN AND KATE WALK OVER TO A LESS CROWDED AREA OF THE PUB
(KATE PULSS HER BAG UP TO HER SHOULDER, THEY BOTH BEGAN TO WHISPER ANGRILY AT EACH OTHER)
KATE:
 I do care about him you know, none of this is his fault he shouldn’t be the one who gets hurt
STEVEN:
Please you can’t be serious, I know what you care about, and it’s not him it’s what’s in his pocket
KATE:
Your one to speak, you only married that despicable woman to get one over and me, and now look at you crawling back
STEVEN:
Okay! Let’s stop this it’s not going to help, and I can see a certain someone is keeping a very close eye on us, so lets go over and act like we have just had a conversation about work okay?
KATIE:
You can’t just keep brushing this conversation off, its not just going to go away on it’s own
STEVEN:
You don’t think I know that kate, your part is as big as mine in this, but for now I need to put a brave face on for my daughter so come on
(KATE AND STEVEN WALK OVER TO LINDSEY SMILING)
STEVEN:
(STROKING LINDSEY’S HAIR) Sorry about that sweetheart we just had a to discuss some work
KATE:
I’m just going to nip to the toilet, I won’t be long
STEVEN:
Can I get you or drink or anything for when you come back?
KATE:
No, best not I’m driving (KATE WALKS AWAY)
LINDSEY:
So who is she really dad?
STEVEN:
Kate?...She’s my secretary darling
LINDSEY:
You really expect me to believe that you have never mentioned her before but she is your work secretary...why’s she even here anyway she didn’t even know mum
STEVEN:
What’s so hard to believe darling? She just has some trouble with some work so I told her where I am and I suggested she stopped for an hour, that’s all
LINDSEY:
Yeah okay whatever
(KATE WALKS OUT OFF THE BATHROOM AND LINDSEY WALKS AWAY AND GOES AND SITS WITH HER BESTFRINED)
JESSICA:
Who’s that then with you your dad?
LINDSEY:
He says it’s his secretary at work and she had a problem with work or something
JESSICA:
And do you believe him?
LLINDSEY:
I’m not sure, since mum died I don’t know what to believe
132/7
KATE:
I can feel her staring Steven, I don’t like it
STEVEN:
She’ll just be suspicious, it’s like all the young ones these days don’t worry I’ll sort it
KATE:
We can’t be having people being suspicious Steve, especially your own daughter, not when where in a situation like this
STEVEN:
I said I’d sort it and I will, the more you get worked up the more suspicious people will get, we just act like we are work mates and that will be it, trust me will you
KATE:
Well sorry if I find it hard to trust people, I’ve ended up in this situation, it’s not exactly easy for me to trust
(PHONE RINGS)
KATE:
It’s him, I best take this outside
132/8
KATE:
Hey sweetheart
132/9
(INSIDE THE PUB JESSICA AND LINDSEY ARE LOOKING OUT THE WINDOW)
JESSICA:
Who do you think she’s speaking to?
LINDSEY:
I don’t know, probably someone who she doesn’t want to know that she is here
JESSICA:
Or maybe because it’s quiet outside? Things don’t have to always be drastic you know
LINDSEY 
C’mon it’s my dad nothing has ever been simple or straight forward since mum died.
132/10
(KATE PUTS THE PHONE DOWN AND WLAKS BACK TO THE PUB, JESSICA AND LINDSEY SIT BACK DOWN)
KATE:
 I best go, he’s wondering where I am
STEVEN:
Already?
KATE:
Yes already, I told you I didn’t have long, now are you going to walk me out?
(STEVEN PUTS DOWN HIS PINT AND FOLLOWS KATE OUT THE DOOR, LINDSEY FOLLOWS AFTER SHORTLY. STEVEN GOES IN TO GIVE KATE A GOODBYE KISS AS SHE UNLOCKS HER CAR)
KATE:
(WHISPERING ANGRILY) What are you doing? Do you want us to get caught?
STEVEN:
 No of course not I just want a proper goodbye, it’s not a lot to ask, no one can see
KATE:
This isn’t a game you know Steve
STEVEN:
 I never said it was just give me a kiss and I’ll go
(THEY SHARE A QUICK KISS AND HE WAVES HER GOODBYE AS SHE REVERSES OUT OF THE CAR PARK, LINDSEY IS STOOD AT THE CORNER IRRITATED)



No comments:

Post a Comment